In Love with Lisbon

When I landed in Lisbon I was very prepared. I picked up my backpack from the luggage carousel, removed my pack and poles from my cheap zippered Ikea bag, folded it, stored it and walked with confidence out of the airport and onto an Aero-bus. Well, almost that effortlessly.

The ideal weight for me to carry on my back was 15lbs, and my backpack was closer to 20. No matter how hard I tried, when packing and re-packing at home, I could not cut any more items to make my bag lighter. I felt I really needed those 10 packs of organic oatmeal, the collapsible travel bowl and thermal metal drink container. I also had my travel purse, which only weighed 800 grams, but how to stuff it into an already full pack?


I had not trained with my pack very much, and the first time I put it on at the Lisbon airport, I realized that I was going to have to get stronger, very quickly. [Later I found out I could store some of my unnecessary items at my pension for 3 weeks, which helped my pack weight immensely, although there were times I really wanted that oatmeal and the herbal tea.]


I huffed and puffed my way to the Aero-bus and because I had google-mapped my pension many times, I recognized my stop and very soon I was checking in. My first of many places to stay where my room or my bed was up four flights of stairs. Two flights to reception, and then two more to my room. Flights of stairs in Europe are incredibly long, just saying.


I treated myself to a single room for my first night in Lisbon. It had a balcony overlooking the main square and directly to my left I could see Sao Jorge Castle, at the top of a hill. To the right I could see the ruins of Carmo Convent. The double doors to my balcony were long and thin, and when opened allowed the square below to flow inside my room. I had a sink, and a bidet. The toilet and shower were down the hall.


After I had settled, I ventured out to explore the castle. My first food in Portugal came from a strawberry vendor who had a stall outside the castle walls. I could smell them before I saw them they were so fresh. I wound my way up to the castle gates and bought a ticket to explore the ruins.



Sao Jorge Castle 

When I left Ontario the day before, it had been cold and snowing. This first day in Portugal was perfect. I breathed in the scent of  strawberries and the flowers blooming around the castle walls. I looked down ancient wells and climbed scary stone steps to battlements with no railings. It was an absolute departure from my life.

And I was alone, and would be on my own for three weeks.

Later, I bought a postcard and bookmark. I finally stopped and had real food, soup and coffee, and bought six Pastéis de Natas  [which I would eat for the next 2 days]. 

I braved the Metro station and fumbled at the kiosk to purchase my fare for the next day. My first Portuguese [slightly impatient] angel helped me navigate that. I'm not sure what else I did that day but I remember going to sleep with the sound of skateboards in the square, with my doors open to hear the night sounds. 

Comments

  1. It's always so wonderful to go from cold Canada to a warmer climate! The first day, I always just want to bask in the nice weather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! My worst weather day was better than here...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Things my Mother Didn't Tell Me : Vanishing Eyebrows

Yearning for Simplicity, or Escape?

Vikings Hand or Dupuytren's Contracture