Hit the Ground Running

We have made it to August - and it has been a hot summer. Forests are burning in Northern Ontario, communities are on alert for evacuation. It is difficult to imagine down here, where we dwell in the smog and humidity.

My mind feels smoggy this week. The aftermath of the gathering for my sister, the intense activity of painting the majority of our house in four weeks. The sadness that comes when things end.

The year to date has been a flurry of big tasks. Now the activity has stopped, and I find myself  annoyed and impatient. I am suddenly irritable and very terse. I have had to walk a lot this week.

Physically, I am doing pretty well. I am maintaining my core strength I earned carrying 18 lbs across Portugal and Spain. I am walking at least 20 km a week, and have introduced Yoga to help regain some of the flexibility I know I have lost.

Desk jobs are the worst for your body. Many workplaces take into consideration that sitting for 8 hours a day is terrible for your core, for your insides, for your brain. My workplace, sadly, has not. Just before I left for Portugal I moved a box in my office with my foot and felt something give way in my bladder. Just a little bit.

I blame inactivity.

March became a panic of Kegels. I had to strengthen my pelvic floor - fast - because I had already purchased my ticket to Portugal, and it wasn't like anything was falling out of me, just a pressure that had not been there before. Perhaps I have only postponed the inevitable, but for now, I have turned back time just a bit.

Comments

  1. you have had so much going on the last while it must be a shock to suddenly be at loose ends, the up coming trip sounds very exciting and I admire your physical strength! Walking helps me to calm down too,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the job search and I hope you find something that is perfect for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the job search and I hope you find something that is perfect for you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Things my Mother Didn't Tell Me : Vanishing Eyebrows

Yearning for Simplicity, or Escape?

An Instant