The Vault or Money in my Bra

Apologies in advance for referencing my solo trip so often, but it was a necessary [incredible!] experience - and the first time I have been alone in a very long time. Solo travel is a massive experience. When I spoke to friends and co-workers about my plans, most assumed I would be traveling with my partner, and when they found out I was going to Portugal alone, they assumed I would be traveling with an organized group, which I was not. Reactions varied from horror to dreamy envy.

My actual trip was the opposite of organized, which was difficult for this Librarian type A Virgo. My gear I planned to death, watching YouTube videos from August until March preparing my supplies lists and shadowing other people on their journeys. I decided early on that the more popular French Way, across the north of Spain would be too long and has become busy crowded. I was walking for isolation and quiet, and didn't want to worry about finding an Albergue with space every night, plus that Camino is a distance of 800km and would take me over a month to complete, and I only had three weeks available to me.

The Portuguese route from Porto to Santiago was perfect - only around 250km and I could take my time and have a few days at the end to be a tourist in Porto and Lisbon. The only thing I firmly planned, aside from my flight, was a pension in Lisbon for one night. My landing spot. I also researched Lisbon to death, so I would not fumble at the airport, but would know exactly where I was going. That worked out very well. Lisbon airport is right on the Metro, and although I chose to use the Aerobus for 3 Euros, the Metro would have been an excellent choice.

Watching Youtube videos was great for preparation - but it also made me all too aware [paranoid] of pickpockets.  A little of Wolter's World goes a long way. How can I not look like a tourist if I am wearing 18lbs of my life on my back? I had definitely reached the too-much-information stage of research when I found myself sewing secret pockets in my hiking pants and skirt. This did make me feel more in control, but I never used them.

My decision to take cash was one I didn't make lightly, but was about my not feeling vulnerable in small towns with no ATM machines, or finding an ATM and strange people lurking around the machines and also the charges to my card would have been horrific. Traveling from Canada is not cheap, it's like my country wants to punish me for spending my hard earned cash.

I changed $2000 Canadian into Euros - mostly 20s, with some 50s and 10s. This was an awesome pile of money, and I split it equally between 2 pouches [which I sewed and fit the cash snugly] and slipped the pouches in my bra down the outer side of [each] breast towards my underarm. Wearing a light-weight athletic bra, my money was hidden from sight, safe in an area I could monitor and didn't impede on my backpack, plus comfortable. I also wore one of those belts, under my waistband, with the RFID protection for my passport and 2 credit cards, of which I only used once. Daily cash was kept in a small zippered change wallet which I kept in my pocket.

About Lisbon and security - it truly is like any other big city. I grew up in Toronto and live in a smaller city now, and when I visit Toronto I'm careful. So same for Lisbon, it's another big city. Truly, if I were a thief, I wouldn't target the modestly dressed woman with the backpack anyway, but perhaps the tourist with all the packages and big purse. I have good city spider-senses, and tend to keep a close eye on the people around me.

On day 2, while waiting for the train to Porto, I saw a woman watching me, and she had seen where I put my small change purse, so I moved it to an inner zipped pocket and she moved on. Paranoid? Perhaps, or maybe simply careful.

Next post...  How I should have researched Porto Better.






Comments

  1. Very wise indeed to be so cautious, as far as I'm concerned. You do not want to be ripped off and penniless in Europe.

    I'm going to revise my recommended blog list soon on the sidebar of "She Who Seeks." I'll add your blog to the list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am enjoying the posts about your trip. It is a venture that always intrigued me, though I'd never be able to do it with my iffy knees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Karen! It is taking time to process the trip.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Things my Mother Didn't Tell Me : Vanishing Eyebrows

Yearning for Simplicity, or Escape?

An Instant