Things my Mother Didn't Tell Me : Vanishing Eyebrows

Lately as I age [gracefully] I wonder about all the things that happen to us with little or no notice, that the women of old never talked about.

I was going to write about my eyebrows, and then decided not to - but on Facebook a friend posted about her own thinning brows - which caused many amusing comments to follow. It is crazy what people do to their brows.

I remember my eyebrows, which were thick and dark when I was very young - the eyebrows I spent hours and hours plucking out - and how some while ago they seemed to become less striking and a little anemic. Eyebrows draw eyes to our face. Nature put them there to attract mates - much like dark bushy pubic hair - which might I add is also suffering from a bit of a recession.

It is like nature is saying : You are returning to the childlike state - hairless and doughy.

My mother did not explain to me as a young woman that I should revel in my hairiness, the women from her generation whispered the word 'menopause' in low voices. So the hair vanishes from places where it was once thick, and grows instead in areas which it shouldn't- another gender equalizer - thank you nature.

I watched a movie recently on Netflix about an older couple, they would be around 70? Maybe 65? There was a shot of the man, in the bathroom brushing his teeth in his underware, and I saw that it happens to men as well. The sharp triangular shape with the pronounced shoulders, slim hips all begins to move about, much like the female shape.

Back to me. So my eyebrows have been less dense in the last few years. Some stray grey hairs add to the fairness. I resist plucking them out though, because for $10 I can tint my brows and that works beautifully, to make my eyes pop a little more.

An added bonus of having to use glaucoma eye drops is that they make hair grow where they touch, and that has worked out pretty well for my eyelashes.  Apparently they are experimenting on baldness with these drops - because they will stimulate hair growth.

How great is that?


Comments

  1. I haven't noticed my eyebrows or the hair on my head thinning yet but everywhere else -- oh yes, And I love it. I LOVE only having to shave my legs ONCE A WEEK in the summer -- heaven! When I was young, I had to do it every second day. What a chore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YUP! I shave my legs every two weeks now. Never did have much brow plucking but notice I need to fill in now in order to not look a little evil. It's the dryness that I struggle with. Dry skin, dry eyes, dry lips dry.....well.....you know.

      Delete
  2. The hair on my head is thinning rapidly as well. I blamed the surgery I had back in January. Maybe I need to put a few drops of my latanoprost on my part, as well as my eyes, at bedtime.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Yearning for Simplicity, or Escape?

An Instant